Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Easiest Headband Ever



Um...So yeah, I love headbands.  I wear them all the time.  When I find a particular size or style that I like, I tend to need more than one.  Here is an easy solution to "I need something to go with this outfit because my hair is kinda scary today..."  I happened to have had one of those days today.  After deciding that I didn't want any of the ones that I currently have in my stash, it was time to make one...but out of what?  How about that ribbon that I picked up because it was pretty and I could use it for... something.

It will probably take longer to decide on which ribbon you want to use than it will take to actually make this headband.  So why not make a few and save yourself the extra time trying to narrow down that decision.

Here's what you're going to need...



  • Ribbon of your choice

  • 2 elastic hairbands

  • scissors and your sewing machine


Yep, that's all you need.

So grab your hairbands Overlap them

Pull the part that's in the front through the one in the back and back to the front.  Does that make sense?

It should now look like this.
Fold the end of your ribbon over like a 1/4" or so.  It doesn't have to be exact, this is simply to keep the raw edge from showing when you sew it.

Take your folded edge an wrap it over the end of your hairband.  (I covered the metal part of the hair band, I think most don't even have that metal part anymore!)  Now your ready to sew.

Sew close to your edge, making sure that you backstitch  a few times to reinforce the seam.  At this point you can take your ribbon and wrap it around your head to get an idea of how long you want it to be and cut it to the desired measurement.  Repeat with the other side, making sure that your ribbon isn't twisted before you sew!  (I cut my ribbon at 18", after sewing it and trying it on, I realized that it was too big, so I just folded it over a couple of times and sewed it again and it was perfect. )

And that's it! Easy.

Enjoy your new headbands.  It's a great way to use extra ribbon you have laying around!  I think that I may make a few more of these with a couple of strands of narrow ribbon together.  The possibilities are endless, really.

16 comments:

  1. I love it! will have to try it next time I have my machine out,hopefully tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Sadly I don't have a machine anymore but I love that you can do this by hand too probably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the beauty of this is that it could easily be hand sewn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! I allready have all the supplies needed and i don't even have to go to the store! I have super thick hair and I am always in need of something to keep it out of my face. my daughter also needs them. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, it really is quick and easy. I'm glad that you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! what a GREAT idea! My daughter needs new hand bands! What a great inexpensive idea! I have to try! ooooh...I can use the ribbons from designers store when they wrap your products! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - I am SO making one to match every outfit DD has for Kindergarten! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could probably make like 30 of these in a matter of minutes!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really fun and addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I. Am. Making. These. So pretty!!! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, this is Beth from Sand to Pearl, thanks for the awesome comment on my Bib over at Prudent Baby. This head band idea is genius! So simple, I can't wait to try it. I'm starting to wear headbands with my pony to make it look a little nicer, and I have SO much ribbon (can't help it, they call to me!) Thanks for the great tute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks. I know what you mean about the ribbon, it really does call!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this headband--so crafty!
    Would love for you to link up to my Headband Link party over at Little Miss Momma! Here's the link:
    http://littlemissmomma.blogspot.com/2010/09/headband-week-link-party-and-surprise.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! I can't wait to make a couple!!!

    ReplyDelete