Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Let's make popsicles!

Someone small loves popsicles.  I mean really loves them.   So of course she needs one in the form of a hair accessory, right?!

I tried a couple of different versions, single versus double.  I happened to like the double popsicle the best.

Here's what you'll need to make your very own popsicle clips...



  • Felt

  • popsicle sticks (cut in half)

  • needle

  • embroidery floss

  • paper, pencil, scissors

  • hot glue gun

  • hair clips


Ok, to start you'll want to decide how big you want to make your popsicle.   I made mine about 1 1/4 inches wide by 1 5/8 inches tall.  Draw out your popsicle shape onto your paper to make a little template.  Use that template to cut out two matching pieces from your felt.

Place the tow identical pieces together and grab your threaded needle.  I started mine by sliding my needle in between the two layers, so that my knot wouldn't show on either side of the felt.  Begin sewing up the side.

Once you've sewn a few stitches and the felt stays together, you can insert your first popsicle stick.  This will be a guide so that you know how much space you have to stitch.  Also, you can run a line of hot glue along the back side of the stick as you place it in between the felt, for a little extra stability.  You'd hate for your popsicle to lose it's stick, right?

Continue to sew around the entire edge, adding your second stick as you go.

It should look like this.  Next you're going to sew the middle section.

Start in the middle of the two layers again, to avoid your knot showing.  Sew all the way up that mid section.  Now you are finished with your popsicle!

You can now glue them to your hair clips!

Can you imagine all the possibilities for felt food shaped hair accessories???  I wonder what other people at the grocery store would think if I had a headband with a coffee cup and a doughnut in my hair?

9 comments:

  1. Oooh that is SUCH a great idea! Wee felt food accessories. I love it! Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you from One Pretty Thing! So cute! Adding a link to my blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, SO CUTE!!! I'm linking to you soon from Dollar Store Crafts. Thanks for the adorable idea. Now can you arrange it so I have some girls to make these for? Do you think my sons would mind wearing these barrettes? :) Maybe I can just make bracelets, or lapel pins for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! My son liked the popsicle, but wasn't too interested in wearing one! Maybe if I could make felt transformer he'd a bit more interested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm liking the thought of a mini doughnut clippie...for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] them. Or maybe I'll just make some into lapel pins for my sons! Find out how to make this adorable popsicle hair clip at Sew Hip [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I love this craft and I featured it on my blog, Tastefully Crafted. Great job!

    ReplyDelete