Saturday, March 13, 2010

Felt Daisies

I love gerbera daisies.  We used them in our wedding, bright pinks and light pinks.  They're so simple, yet their structure makes them feel elegant.

I seem to be on a flower making kick these days.  I've been making paper, crepe paper, felt and cotton fabric flowers.  Surely I can put some type of flower on just about every thing I own...right?!  Well, my latest endeavor was to attempt to make a felt gerbera daisy.  I think that I would try to make just about anything out of felt, if I had the time.  So here is a what I ended up with.  I made a few colors, and sizes.  Tried variations on the number of petals and so on.  So you can take this and tweak it to suit your own taste.

What you will need:

Felt -one color for the petals, one for the center, green if you want to add a leaf (I didn't make any with leaves, but I think that would be fun.)

scissors, needle, thread, small amount of fiber fill or scrap felt (to lightly stuff the center)

To begin, you will want to cut out four or five circles for the petals and the back/base of the flower.  My circle was about 2 inches wide.

Now take three or four of those five circles and cut them in half and those halves in half as well.  You should now have four pieces per circle.  These pieces will be your petals.

Ok, lets assemble the flower.  Grab your remaining circle, needle and one of your petal pieces.  Fold the piece in half and put a stitch in the bottom to hold it together.

Place it on top of the circle, with a small amount of the petal hanging over the edge of the base circle.

Continue to add petals, making sure to over lap the previous petal with the open side on top.

You can add as many petals as you want.  I used 12 on this particular flower, although I think it needed at least on more!

Next grab you other color of felt for the center, cut a smaller circle.   I used a 1 inch circle for this.

I added a few french knots randomly on this piece. (optional of course!)

Now, place it in the center and sew it almost all the way around, leaving a small opening to stuff a tiny bit of fiberfill or scrap of felt in there.  Sew the remaining section.  And you are finished!  You can add a brooch back , hair clip or sew  it to whatever you want! 

2 comments:

  1. this is cute! i'm gonna make some too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh pretty! I love the felt. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete